Pages

January 13, 2013

Homemade passata





The past week has been hot, hot, hot here. So I was pretty chuffed to wake up to the sound on rain on the roof this morning. Nice. Perfect for cooking up my 9kg box of roma tomatoes actually...

I like the extra intensity of flavour that you get from roasting the tomatoes but I can only fit two baking trays in the oven and can't be bothered with multiple batches. Hence two trays worth are halved and go in the oven for about half an hour. The rest are quartered and tossed in my big stock pot to soften up.

Then everything goes straight into my fab vintage mouli mill - country markets and garage sales are great for picking up such useful items - to remove the skins and seeds. I love my mouli - avoids the need for time-consuming blanching and peeling. 

Then the passata goes into jars and is simmered in the Fowlers Vacola pot (can anyone tell me what the proper name for the actual pot is?) for an hour or so. 

My 9kg produced 4.5 litres of passata. I'll be processing a few more boxes of tomatoes this summer to produce enough to last the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...