Pages

January 6, 2014

We grew peaches!!


Can you tell how excited I am?

I've never really grown fruit before (not counting tomatoes and other things masquerading as vegetables). Fruit takes rather serious commitment and patience. A bit different to poking a handful of beans in the ground.


When we planted our small bare-rooted trees a few years ago, the prospect of harvesting fruit from them felt like something that might possibly happen in the far distant future. We diligently weeded, mulched and watered. We studied the branches of the peaches and nectarines almost daily in Spring to check for the new buds and endeavoured to apply the spray for leaf curl 'within one week prior to bud-burst'. And apparently we've succeeded in sufficiently nurturing them, oh yes!

Our trees are still just a couple of years old, not even as tall as me. So was pretty excited when I realised that we actually had a decent crop of peaches and nectarines coming along nicely.


 So we're all busily devouring lovely big, juicy peaches at the moment. There are 38 yellow ones and 27 white ones to be exact. There's also 50 or so bright red nectarines that should be ready to pick in the next couple of weeks. Happy days!


We're also enjoying all things green from the veggie patch. Tomatoes look to be at least a month away yet though. Summer, where have you gone?


I just need to keep the girls from wreaking too much havoc...


8 comments:

  1. Hi Amber. Do you know what cultivar the peaches are? They look fantastic by the way.

    Gav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I was hoping no-one would ask me that Gavin! I'm afraid I've lost the tag for that particular tree. I can tell you what any of the rest of our trees are... but not the one that I'd really quite like to know myself! ;)

      Delete
  2. Amber, I would be ecstatic too if I had grown this magnificent fruit. Well done. Growing fruit takes commitment and time, even more than vegetables! Your peas look delicious too. Happy days indeed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! We're actually lucky live in an area well-suited to growing many types of fruit, such as peaches, apples, pears, cherries and berries, hence I'm hoping this is just the beginning of a long and beautiful relationship with our fruit trees. Makes up for the tomato situation... So jealous of yours! ;)

      Delete
  3. Those peaches look so very good. I have only just started planting out my fruit trees and found a variety that will grow here in Qld for me. So I have a few years to wait still. I will just have to drool over yours instead. those peas look really good too. Would love to have you on board the GSC sharing your garden each month if you are up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh you lucky thing indeed! how wonderful to have them at your doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your peaches and peas are amazing! Such healthy variety you must have wonderful soil and spoil your produce :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr Pedro grants me a loan of 5,000,000.00 USD When other loan investors have neglected my offer but mr pedro and his loan company granted me a success loan.they are into directly in loan financing and project in terms of investment & loans. They provide financing solutions to companies and individuals seeking access to capital markets funds, they can help you fund your project or expand your business.. Email Contact:::: pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...